A stereotypically cheesy title for my Singapore Study Abroad Blog

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Finals, Bridges, and America. Plus that thing I forgot to tell you.

Oh hey there! Long time.

For those of you who don't know, I'm back in America now. I apologize for the lack of posting as of late. Unfortunately right as soon as finals were over I was swamped with packing, setting up my job, and taking care of my summer lease situation. But now that things have settled, I can recount a few things from my last week in Singapore as well as give a final thoughts blog post before I bring this travel blog to a close.

Finals. Well, final. I only had one during the actual "finals" week at the National University of Singapore. It was brutal, and while I wasn't one of the people who walked out in tears, there's not much that I actually want to recollect concerning it. It was exactly what I expected, which doesn't mean I did well, I just went in knowing that it would be rough. I can at least take solace in the fact that I think some of the locals were in the same boat as me. We'll see when the curve comes out I guess.

On a more lighthearted note, amidst packing, a broken laptop power cord, and an endless flood of emails I managed to get out of the house for a little bit to take an adventure to one of the only nature reserves in Singapore.


The MacRitchie Reservoir is surprisingly located in the middle of the island, and is a strange spot of nature that seems out of place in Singapore. It's a little difficult to find the first time, despite it's central location, but it is definitely worth a visit if you are craving some green while in the city. While some of it is constructed and a little fake, a lot of the actual nature is still in place, which is a rarity in Singapore. It's a great place to hike or run if you're there, however I don't recommend it for hot or humid days, as it was pretty rough heat-wise while I was there. While the entire reservoir is not exactly what you would call "isolated from the city" (parts of it we were not only next to paved streets, but walking on them) there were sections that were surprisingly secluded from the hustle and bustle of the city.

One of these secluded sections is also one of the highlights of the reservoir; Treetop Walk. This section is not only home to an obscene amount of stairs for how humid it was, but more importantly it has the suspension bridge, which was easily my favorite part of the hike. It was quite the bridge and quite the view; a unique experience to look out over some of the last remaining undeveloped nature in Singapore.


After the hike, the rest of my week was spent packing and preparing for the long trek home. After 12 hours in the progressively-less-exciting-over-time Changi Airport and a 18-hour flight through Tokyo and across the Pacific, I returned to America. It was quite a busy time for me as soon as I landed so I can't really say that I stopped to smell the freedom or anything like that. (Though I did have 3 cheeseburgers within an hour of landing)

I will be posting again within the next week (work schedule permitting) concerning my look back on the experience as a whole and my final thoughts as I wrap up this travel blog. My next post will also hopefully have links to the posts that I've sent to the Foster School of Business, we'll see.

Until next time!


Oh, PS:
Remember that whole section of the Bali trip where I had a secret project? Yeah, so, Bali is famous for coffee. But, it is also famous for it's silver jewelry. While I was in Ubud, I took a silversmithing class to learn how to craft silver jewelry. (Under heavy tutelage) It was an awesome experience and I highly recommend it. (it's on TripAdvisor for anyone interested) Unfortunately I was a little busy with bending, welding, and sanding hot silver so I wasn't able to take pictures while I made the piece. So here's an image I stole of Google from the same silver workshop! (Not me in the picture, I know you were confused)



No comments:

Post a Comment